Pulisic admits Chelsea frustrations amidst Liverpool interest

My Football FactsArticles

Written by Martin Graham | June 3, 2022

Chelsea striker Christian Pulisic has spoken out about his role in the team at West London club following the interest from Liverpool.

The American has been with the Blues since June 2019 after initially signing in January 2019 for £58m and staying at Westfalenstadion on loan for the rest of the 2018/19 season.

The young striker was already a hugely successful international player with the USMNT and actually wore the team armband on occasion. However, his move to Chelsea did not come to fruition in the way many imagined.

While Pulisic has the talent and versatility to succeed at Stamford Bridge, tough competition for places has kept him a bit under the radar. The 23-year-old has the likes of Hakim Ziyech, Callum Hudson-Odoi and Timo Werner as his contenders for roles in the Chelsea attack.

Injuries also contributed to his decline in club football. Injury prone, Pulisic spent months on the sidelines recovering from injuries he suffered again or relapsed.

In his three seasons at Stamford Bridge, the USMNT captain has crossed 40 in just one season and hasn’t even played 30 in the Premier League. However, Chelsea fans appreciate his efforts and his talents continue to attract suitors, one of whom is Liverpool.

Pulisic, whose contract with Chelsea expires in 2024 and is currently with his country, spoke to the media about his time at the club since 2019.

“So far, I’m obviously just focused on what I’m doing here,” he said. “And I’m so excited to be here. And yes, that’s it.

“Of course, I want to have more playing time. I want to be on the court as much as I can and be sharper and fitter.

“I think I still have a lot of games left, but it is something I always work on and try to be a regular at club level and also to put myself in the best position to be fit when I come here with the national team.”

Meanwhile, Pulisic’s teammate in the national team, Gabriel Slonina, will scoff at the duo’s chance with him at Chelsea in favor of a move to Real Madrid.

The 18-year-old goalkeeper has been in excellent shape with the Chicago Fire MLS club and has had to deal with a lot of interest from Europe throughout the season.

Chelsea and Madrid were at the forefront of signing, but his agent Jaime Garcia informed the media of the player’s decision because you “just don’t say no to Real Madrid”.

“It must be an honor for Chicago and the MLS League, to have Real Madrid pay attention to one of their players,” Garcia told the official MLS website. “Hopefully, Chicago can reach an agreement with Real Madrid to fulfill Gabriel’s dream of playing for this club.

“Regarding other clubs and other shows [which] We received a lot, and at the moment we honor these clubs but you can’t say no to Real Madrid.”

Martin Graham is a sports writer for the MFF Forum

Leave a Comment