Mbappe transfer saga: Real Madrid considered withdrawing offer

My Football FactsArticles

Written by Martin Graham | May 23 2022

With the conclusion of a mentally stressful week for fans of both Real Madrid and Paris Saint-Germain, it has been revealed that the Spanish giants are considering withdrawing their bid for Kylian Mbappe.

Mbappe and Madrid’s failed love story goes back well beyond the 2020/21 season when moves officially began to bring him to the Santiago Bernabeu. Mbappe, a fan of Real Madrid throughout his life, expressed his desire to move to Spain and play with the club of his dreams, but Paris Saint-Germain stopped the move last season.

Real Madrid was unable to sway the Qatar-backed French club with its €230m offer to the World Cup winner. He spent the 2021/202 season back and forth with Mbappe, whose old contract was due to expire in June 2022.

On the other hand, PSG was taking its own steps, with the support of the State of Qatar, to keep Mbappe at the club beyond the expiration of his contract. However, it was believed that the 2018 Copa Cup winner was destined to move to Madrid.

Last week, Mbappe announced that he will announce his decision in the final week of the season. His decision was that he would stay at PSG, signing a deal for the next three years and breaking madridistas hearts in the process.

Madrid saw betrayal coming

Following the young striker’s decision to stay at Parc des Princes, it was revealed that Real Madrid had seen the decision coming a few weeks ago, and on Friday considered withdrawing his offer.

Spanish port Mark Reports said Real Madrid managers were wary of Mbappe’s indecision, which has continued throughout the season. They felt that he was disrespectful towards them and considered withdrawing their Friday show.

However, Madrid president Florentino Perez, who had been in direct contact with the player throughout the transfer window, rescinded his decision as president and demanded that the show remain.

Mbappe then called Perez directly on Saturday morning and said he would sign a renewal with PSG, which he did on Saturday afternoon.

Real Madrid have no plans to force a replacement for Mbappe

Mark It also mentioned that the club has no plan B and will rely on Vinicius Junior and Karim Benzema to lead their attack next season.

The club will instead switch to midfield and defence, and smaller offensive alternatives with the imminent departures of Marco Asensio, Mariano Diaz and Luka Jovic.

Martin Graham is a sports writer for the MFF Forum

Leave a Comment